Social security ID (Sozialversicherungsausweis)

Social security ID (Sozialversicherungsausweis)

The social security ID (Sozialverischerungsausweis or Rentenversicherungsausweis) is an important document that expats in Germany need to have. If you are working in Germany, it is usually issued automatically to you when your employer enrols you in the social security system.

What is a social security ID?

The social security ID is a document, given to every employee in Germany, that proves that you contribute to statutory insurance schemes like pension insurance or health insurance. It therefore identifies you as a member of the German social security system by designating you a unique social security number. You will usually need this number for:

  • Starting a new job
  • Claiming benefits
  • Drawing a pension

How do I get a social security ID?

As soon as you find a job in Germany, your employer will enrol you in the social security system in order to deduct your contributions as part of payroll tax. Once you have been enrolled, you will automatically be issued with a social security ID, which will arrive in the post. If you have not received one within six weeks of starting your job, speak with your employer.

What do I do if I have lost my social security ID?

If you have lost your social security ID, it is possible to obtain a new one. You will need to get in contact with your statutory health insurance provider, who will request a new ID for you from your pension insurance provider. The new document will come to you in the post, usually within six weeks.

If you urgently need your ID, i.e. if you are starting a new job and your employer asks for your social security number, your health insurance provider can also issue you with a document that acts as a temporary social security ID.

Read also