Four German universities make it into top 100 of ShanghaiRanking list
This week, the ShanghaiRanking Consultancy released its ranking of the top 1000 universities from all over the world. 47 German universities made it onto the ranking this year, with four of them making it into the top 100.
2022 Academic Ranking of World Universities
The Academic Ranking of World Universities is an annual ranking of the best 1000 universities from all over the world. It was originally published in 2003 by the Centre for World-Class Universities at Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s Graduate School of Education. Since 2009, the ShanghaiRanking Consultancy has published the list, and has continued to do so every year since.
More than 2.500 universities are considered every year by the ShanghaiRanking Consultancy, which then publishes the top 1.000 in its Academic Ranking of World Universities. Six indicators are used to rank the global universities on the list, giving each a score out of 100:
- Number of Nobel Price and Field Medal winning staff and alumni,
- Number of highly cited researchers selected by Clarivate
- Number of articles published in Nature and Science journals
- Per capita performance of the university
- Number of articles indexed in the Science Citation Index Expanded and Social Sciences Citation Index on the Web of Space platform
Munich-based universities dominate Germany
Munich, according to the ranking, is the best place to study in Germany. The Technical University of Munich (31,7) and the Ludwig Maximillian University of Munich (31,5) were ranked as the best universities in Germany, coming in at 56th and 57th respectively. Heidelberg University (29,5) and the University of Bonn (28,1) made up the remaining two universities in the top 100, where they came in 70th and 76th place.
The Technical University of Munich, the Ludwig Maximillian University of Munich and Heidelberg University have all been selected as Universities of Excellence since 2006 / 07 under the Excellence Initiative, with the University of Bonn being selected in 2019.
A total of 43 other German universities made it into the top 1000 universities worldwide, including the University of Freiburg, the University of Cologne, the University of Leipzig and the University of Stuttgart. The Technical University of Dortmund and the University of Wuppertal were the worst-ranked universities in Germany, both ranking in the bottom 100.
Top 10 universities in the world for 2022
The top 10 universities in the world, according to the 2022 Academic Ranking of World Universities, are:
- Havard University (100)
- Stanford University (76,8)
- MIT (70,1)
- University of Cambridge (69,6)
- University of California, Berkeley (65,3)
- Princeton University (60,0)
- University of Oxford (58,7)
- Columbia University (57,2)
- California Institute of Technology (56,1)
- University of Chicago (55,1)
For the full ranking, including individual profiles for each university, visit the ShanghaiRanking website.